Wednesday 22 February 2012

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

I received this recipe from my Mom in law after she made it for my hubby and he called it a WINNER!
Here is the official recipe, but of course I did some variations and will say those at the end.
CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

3 tbsp butter/olive oil
2.5 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced ( I didn't weigh mine)
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 med. onion, chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 red pepper, cored and chopped
3 tbsp brown sugar (i used 1 tbsp)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp curry powder
8 cups chicken broth
Roux~ 2 tbsp melted butter, 3 tbsp oil with 4 tbsp of flour to make a paste ( I omitted)
1 egg yolk ( I omitted)
1/2 cup whipping cream  ( I put in about 1 cup of milk because it was thick)

In large stock pot, heat butter and saute all the veggies for about 10 mins.  Add seasonings. Cook another 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Simmer until veggies are tender, about 20 mins.
Use a blender to puree the soup in batches. Return to pot and heat.  Add the Roux if you are going to.
Whisk together egg yolk and whipping cream and add a little bit at a time to the soup to prevent the yolk from cooking.

I had already cooked my squash in the crockpot.  So I just scooped it out later and added it to a bunch of veggies ( I cooked about 5 potatoes with mine) after I had put them through the blender.  
If it is too thick, add some more water or a little milk.  Mine was a bit sweet, but I think my potatoes were a bit sweet.
It was a nice change from the regular veggie soups :)  I put a little cheese and parsley on it for the photo. It is also not as thick as this, I took this out of the fridge and took a photo :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments ~ thank you!